Feb 19, 2008

What's wrong with being quiet?

It's something I'm always asked: "why are you so quiet?" I don't know. Must we keep talking all the time? Is it alright that I just listen? Because I don't say anything unless I have something to say. Why must people be uncomfortable with quietude?

I can make weird noises. That's something I can possibly do, but I bet it would just irritate. I think I have that kind of effect on people.

Better than me saying anything senseless and meaningless, I'd rather listen and take the whole world in. Better than contributing to the noise and the babble, I prefer to attempt making sense out of all of those. Better than speaking up on something that I have no knowledge of, I'd really like to learn what others can teach or inform me.

I like being quiet. I speak when needed anyway. I voice my thoughts when I feel the need to share them. I respond when I'm spoken to. It's not bad nor sinful to be silent. That's just the way I am. And I'm okay with it. If you ask me why am I so quiet, it's because I really have no idea what to say or talk about. I just feel it's pointless to produce sounds that don't lead anywhere, except "oh, I see," when really they don't.

"The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying something which is not everything it should be." -Edgar Allan Poe. He had a wonderfully forthright way of saying things, with all its gore. While it may take some time to understand his words, he's still amusing and interesting.

1 comment:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I guess the talkative people around you are just worried you might be feeling left out. =)

OR they may like the contributions you do make once in a while and are hoping that you'll have another gem for them! =P

AUTHOR

My photo
Quiet but spirited. Serious but quirky. Easygoing but restless. Talented but awkward. Aloof but caring. Lost but driven. Very confused person.