Oct 23, 2008

Of Big Mouths and Flapjacks

Sometimes I say things carelessly. There was a time I called someone 'bitch' in jest, but that person took it seriously. It's a good thing that my apology and explanation behind using the term were accepted. Yesterday, I made the mistake of letting my mouth go loose. It ticked somebody off, and that person wouldn't get off my case until I had thoroughly explained my careless utterances. "Sorry" didn't cut it either. Sigh, me and my big mouth. No wonder silence is golden. Lesson learned: I shouldn't be too comfortable around anyone (except those I can really trust).


***


VERDICT: Tried it for lunch today. It's a good breakfast food place. Not worth a splurge (no extra value for money) - there's nothing off about the interior aesthetics and food quality (in fact, it's good), but portion & quality of service does not justify the cost.


INTERIORS: The place is brightly colored with lots of natural light to illuminate the resto interiors. Blown up pictures of sample menu items also help whet the appetite, which adds to the cheery charm to the place. I recommend dining indoors, and dine outdoors only when it's cool, because there are no fans or mist sprayers outside to alleviate the heat.

SERVICE: Currently, it's on soft opening mode, which could explain why service sucks. By service, I mean the service crew may be courteous, but they are not alert or attentive. The service style itself is unusual for a all-day breakfast food place (like Pancake House, Country Waffles, Heaven n Eggs, Grams Diner, etc.) in that it's semi-self-service. Other restos of this kind offer full waiter service. Here, you order and pay at the counter, then seat yourself and wait to be served your order.

FOOD: Good but not spectacular. They've got a good pancake recipe. It's not too sweet nor too flat. It tastes rich and fluffy, and bland enough to enjoy it with one or more syrups. (I had chocolate and maple with mine.) I've also sampled the omelet, and it tasted fresh and vibrant - similar to the fresh cooked breakfast omelets served in hotel buffets. It's a plus that you can choose the fillings of your omelet, such as cheese, bacon, ham, etc. (Choose one, choose some, or choose all, hahaha!) Portion-wise, the meal is not large, but it fills the tummy. However, my breakfast philosophy is to stuff myself in the morning when I can, so I feel there should be a bigger serving (especially when the price is above average). One more BOO! for no waffles. Pancakes and waffles go hand-in-hand; I don't know why this place serves pancakes but no waffles.

PRICING: Above average. I think you need a minimum of P150 to enjoy a meal. The plain pancakes are at 195. So are the french toast and omelets. And those menu items are the basic ones, the more fancy ones are, of course, more expensive. Still, I've got to ask - what am I paying more for? It's definitely not the service. So it must be the food, but the portioning is not big enough and food is not to die for. Surely not variety due to limited menu. Flapjacks has to offer more to justify the price.

No comments:

AUTHOR

My photo
Quiet but spirited. Serious but quirky. Easygoing but restless. Talented but awkward. Aloof but caring. Lost but driven. Very confused person.