Jan 3, 2007

Songs I don't mind hearing over and over again II

One more set of songs I'd love to rave about. Whenever I make a new playlist, some of these songs almost always make it there, for whatever reasons - whether I'm moody, stressed, aloof, bubbly, restless, or elated. Here we go, for another shot at my favorite songs:


Ready, Steady, Go

by Larc-En-Ciel
'Are you ready?' starts this rather percussive, fast-paced song. It's like you're taunting your opponent before you start a competition. When >16bpm percussion comes in (well im estimating, I didnt really count the beats, lol!), then releases itself into the first stanza - its like revving a car, then letting go of the brakes, and off we go. Fits the title perfectly. I like this song because it challenges me, taunts me to do better. Helps sometimes when I do some really tough analyses and reports. This definitely makes it to my work (or workout, hehe) playlist.


The Second Star to the Right
for Disney's Peter Pan soundtrack
The way to Neverland is "the second star to the right and straight on till morning." This is where you'll never grow up and indulge every childhood fantasy. I love this song for reminding me that I can still be a kid if I want to. I just have to think happy thoughts. Though the song ends on sad note, because eventually we all grow up, one way or another, it urges us not to forget the feelings of childhood - of laughter, carefree moments, silliness, innocence, and fun.


Time to Say Goodbye
by Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli
This song has elegance written all over it. It begins with strings on a march beat that steadily crescendoes towards each chorus then finales with a rich string and voice texture in the end. This is one song I'd love to sing to perfection, albeit softly. (Who can compete with Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli anyway? A powerful combo to be sure.) I don't understand the song much (being in Italian), but the melody is addictive. It draws you ever so slightly till you're immersed in the grandeur of its sounds. Nice meditative (or interpretative dance) music.


Unlimited
by Nanase Aikawa for the Samurai 7 soundtrack
What strikes me as very interesting in this song is its fast, smooth, and steady percussion. The seemingly up-and-down-ness of the accompanying melody is only a plus. But for some reason, I like this song, despite not understanding the lyrics. I think, since I heard this on the Samurai 7 anime, I often associate the song with kickass martial arts action. Maybe that's the allure of the song. Still, whether or not you have seen the anime series, this is something worth listening to.


Wag na Wag Mong Sasabihin
by Kitchie Nadal
I had this as my LSS once. Tried to purge it from my head by listening to it exclusively the whole day. It worked, but surprisingly, I'm not fed up of listening to it now. It's a cute, unrequited-love kind of song. Really tugs at the heartstrings, especially the guitar wangs at the start.


With a Smile
by Eraserheads
Feel-good, happy kind of song, designed to cheer you up in even your darkest moods. The way this song starts out seems to reach you, a feathery touch on your shoulder, ever so lightly, and whisper sweet comforts. It feels your pain, but subtly, it shifts you, making you look toward a better, brighter side. You know, with a smile. :) Usually, when I'm alone and I feel nobody's there to be my sounding board, this song makes a good substitute. Though it may not be successful in bringing a smile to my face, it certainly takes away the frown. I love this song!

No comments:

AUTHOR

My photo
Quiet but spirited. Serious but quirky. Easygoing but restless. Talented but awkward. Aloof but caring. Lost but driven. Very confused person.